Tuesday, 21 June 2016

Life, conservative families and rebelling with a cause!

I thought of starting a separate blog with Doctor Nobby and I found an article related to the same in my notes. I edited it and thought of sharing it with you all!
Being a part of a conservative family never really had any perks. Somebody would drop you and pick you up from school and tuition. There comes a point in your life when even if you can you won't bunk classes because you are so scared of your parents and fear they might lose their temper. Also, with the values they have inculcated, you feel it's not right!
I started taking coaching classes in ninth standard and never bunked a single class up till twelfth. Even though there were times when I could but I still did not. There were times when my parents did not drop or pick me up from my coaching classes and I walked back home with friends. Though only female friends because I usually did not talk to the boys in my class because they weren't my type. All of them seemed weird to me for some reason and no, I wasn't a lesbian and I am still not. And no, I don't have a problem with homosexuality or homosexuals but what I am saying is I don't fall in that category. And I had to elaborate this because we live in a world where there is a comment section to every action. Coming back to the 'weird tuition boys' I feel they too never wanted to talk to me maybe coz they were scared of me because of my mother! She once  shouted on all of them and told the head of the 
institution that boys gang up up on the front gate and don't give girls space to walk on purpose. That's my bold and beautiful mom for you!
Once after my class got over I bumped into a school friend who was walking outside my coaching and also happened to be my neighbour.  'Let's walk back home together?', she asked. Before I could say anything another girl who I did not know was standing behind me interrupted and informed my friend that my mother comes to pick me up! My friend laughed at me because it took exactly  seven minutes by walk to reach my home. I felt really bad and kept on thinking about it at home. Why? Why do my parents do this? Why can't I walk back home myself? It's not that far and all my friends do it and even I can. My past records are clear. I was never caught bunking classes and sitting at some sleazy 'sheesha bar' with random guys they had no idea existed in my life.  Why do they lock me in the house when they go outside? My friends call each other and party when their parents leave, I haven't done all this. And they know I never will because I am not that type of a person and I have immense respect for my parents and won't do something that they won't appreciate.
It's 2016 and I am twenty one. Have my parents changed? Pretty much yes! I am now allowed to go for movies alone. I am allowed to travel in a metro. They know I bunked almost all my classes in college. In fact, when I was nineteen they let me travel all alone to China and do an internship. They allow me to go clubbing but I come back home early because I don't really enjoy the vibe at all! There have been instances where my father has prepared a drink for me. But I am still not allowed to do night stays and if they go out for more than two hours they'll lock me in the house. If they go out for trips, I am either dropped at my Nani's house or my Nani gets stuck with me in mine. So, you see I have never had days or nights where I can invite my friends for a party! If I have to go to a new place for an interview or an assignment they make sure that somebody goes with me weather its my brother, or even Nani for that matter! Well, they still have the authority to chose my friends and say no if they never liked a friend I said I am going out with. Yeah, I do feel like I am four! Sometimes I do feel bad and awkward because I am twenty one and I should be allowed.
But I still smile and say nothing when my friends ask me why aren't you allowed to go for night stays or party with us till whee hours? Because I look back in time when my parents never allowed me to do anything. And if looking back doesn't work then always look at those who don't get the little freedom that I do.
So, to all those girls and boys who're cribbing that their parents aren't 'cool' enough like others then
STOP! If you're  saying that they don't want you to meet that friend of your's then CHILL! Because they accurately judged that friend when they first saw him/her and they know the one's who you deserve your time and attention and the one's who don't!
Always remember to be a rebel with a cause. So, if they are allowing your brother to do what they did not allow you to do then fight for it. Well, because Gender equality is a cause! 



No comments:

Post a Comment